Economic Performance in Southwestern Ontario’s CMAs: A National Perspective 2023 Update
— Published on March 30, 2023
- Over the past several years, the Fraser Institute’s Ontario Prosperity Initiative has published several studies analyzing economic developments across various reasons of Ontario.
- This bulletin examines trends surrounding median household income in large metropolitan areas across Canada, with a particular focus on Census Metropolitan Areas in southwestern Ontario.
- The two large CMAs in southwest Ontario that are outside of the Toronto commuter area, London and Windsor, were amongst the worst performers on this important measure of well-being between 2005 and 2019.
- Since the turn of the century, southwestern Ontario has gone from being one of the most prosperous regions in Canada to being in the bottom third on median household income.
- Over this span Windsor went from having the 11th highest median household income in Canada to having the 33rd highest. London fell from 13th to 28th place.
- The region’s economic struggles began prior to the 2008-09 recession and following that severe economic shock its recovery was tepid.
More from this study
Subscribe to the Fraser Institute
Get the latest news from the Fraser Institute on the latest research studies, news and events.